In this article we will explore 3 mobile phone apps that can enhance your driving experience.
Updated: Sep 29, 2021
Progressive is an insurance provider that prides itself on offering competitive prices and a variety of package choices. Even though they are one of the most well-known car insurance companies in the United States, there are a variety of reasons why you might want to cancel your policy with them.
Whether you’ve discovered a company with lower rates or coverage you prefer, the process of canceling should never prevent you from making the best choice for your needs and circumstances. Continue reading to find out how to cancel your insurance coverage with the least amount of hassle.
Reasons to Cancel Progressive Auto Insurance
Although Progressive Insurance provides an array of insurance options, there are many reasons you may choose to cancel.
Common reason for canceling an auto policy include:
- Your current plan is no longer affordable
- You found a better rate with a different provider
- You are relocating to an area the provider does not service
- You are having issues with the provider
Regardless of your reason, properly canceling a Progressive policy is critical to avoiding a cancellation charge or experiencing a coverage gap.
Canceling Your Progressive Policy
The quickest way to cancel is to call the main customer care line at 888-671-4405. Agents are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, to take your call.
What you will need:
- Policy number
- Date of birth
- Social Security number
- *Proof of replacement coverage
*They may require you to submit proof of replacement coverage if you want same day cancellation. Although you can cancel your policy the same day you call, it is strongly advised you to wait so Progressive can’t charge you a cancellation fee. More on that later.
How to cancel by phone:
- Call Progressive at 1-888-671-4405 to cancel.
- Indicate the date you wish to cancel.
- Purchase a replacement insurance policy prior to termination to avoid coverage gaps.
- Pay any cancellation fees.
- Verify your reimbursement for unused premiums.
Progressive says you will get a reimbursement for unused coverage. They don’t say how they prorate refunds or if they incur cancellation costs.
How to cancel by email:
To cancel via email, you will first need to log onto your progressive account and then email them from there. Progressive states this step is necessary to protect your privacy. Once logged it, email them a notice of cancelation that includes the same information as listed above.
How to cancel by mail:
To cancel by mail, send a signed notice of cancelation that includes the same information as listed above to:
The Progressive Corporation
6300 Wilson Mills Rd.
Mayfield Village, Ohio 44143
How to Cancel Progressive Insurance Online?
Unfortunately, Progressive does not provide a way to cancel their insurance policies online. The only way to cancel a Progressive policy is to call their customer service department, email them a notice of cancelation or send them a physical letter that includes a signed notice of cancelation.
Considerations Before Canceling
➤ Early Cancellation Fee
If you cancel in the middle of the policy term, Progressive Insurance will refund premiums for the unused days, less any cancellation fees. Cancellation fees only apply when you cancel your policy mid-term. If you are subject to a fee, plan on switching away from Progressive on the same day your current policy expires to avoid being charged.
Cost to cancel Progressive insurance depends on state legislation, length of policy and frequency of premium payments. Progressive’s cancellation costs have a mixed bag of reviews. Some paid a set fee of $50-$65, while others paid 10% of their outstanding premium. Many claim they paid no fees. Before you cancel, check your Progressive policy, or call customer support to see if there are any costs.
➤ Policy Lapsing
Did you know that most insurance carriers give extra discounts to drivers with no lapse in their coverage? If you cancel, have your new policy start right away so you avoid missing out on any savings. Also, it is best to have proof of new coverage when you cancel in case the carrier requires it.
Perhaps most importantly, you need to ensure you have a new policy in place so you aren’t left driving a vehicle you can no longer insure. The main concern is the likelihood of an accident while uninsured. If it happens, you’re liable for the damages. Your DMV may suspend your license or fine you. Driving without insurance can even result in jail time in several states. Don’t go there. Before you cancel Progressive, get a new auto policy.
Alternative to Canceling
If the reason you would like to cancel your Progressive policy is because you genuinely will not be using your car for an extended period of time (i.e., a long vacation), of course canceling is an option. However, doing so is not always easy. If you are not selling your vehicle, in certain states you must provide signed documentation at your DMV stating that you will not be driving your vehicle anymore.
If you live in such a state and want to avoid the red tape of involving the DMV, an alternative would be to purchase “Stored Vehicle” or “Seasonal Vehicle” insurance coverage from your existing carrier. This will always cost a lot less than standard vehicle insurance and avoid any issues that could arise from a lapse in coverage.
➤ Ask for a Price Match
You can ask Progressive to match a lower quote from another provider for the same policy. In most cases, the person who answers the phone cannot cut your charges. However, the agent may ask questions to check if you qualify for untapped savings. For example, you may save money by bundling your house and auto insurance policy. If Progressive offers you a home-and-auto bundle, shop around to make sure it’s the best rate. If you’re able to receive reduced premiums from Progressive, that’s terrific. The quicker you start that lower policy, the greater your savings will be.
Getting Quotes for Replacement Coverage
It’s a good idea to shop around for car insurance and compare quotes from different companies. Gather three to five quotes on the same coverage levels before deciding. Otherwise, you might leave money on the table.
Gather the following information before completing out online quote forms:
- Coverages and deductibles you want
- Purchase the day before your Progressive policy expires
- VINs and years of all insured vehicles
- Name, birthdate, and license number of all policyholders
- If you want to bundle your house and auto insurance, you’ll need your homeowner’s declarations page. You may also need your home’s dimensions.
- After organizing your data, start collecting quotes.
- Progressive representatives are available to help you 24/7 at 1-888-671-4405.
- You can switch insurers, even if you just renewed your policy with another insurance company.
- Switching before your policy expires can cause a cancellation fee.
- You should get quotes from other providers and compare before you cancel. Make sure your new policy is effective on or before the date you cancel your progressive policy.
- When you cancel with an insurer, you’ll get a refund for the money you paid in advance. Ask the agent processing your cancellation what your refund will be and when you can expect it to arrive.
- If you make an adjustment to your policy, the change may be effective immediately; in specific situations, you can choose the effective date.